If you’re like me, the start of a new year means you’re thinking about healthier lifestyle choices. That can be tough in Buffalo, given the state of our food-affairs: everything is over-the-top delicious here.
I wanted to try out a healthier, lighter alternative to wings for this Sunday’s game. As a self-proclaimed wing aficionado, I had VERY low expectations.
I was pleasantly surprised.
Try this recipe and let me know what you think. Everyone in the house loved it…including 13 year olds! Don’t knock it till you try it.
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce (my preference is Frank’s, of course), divided
- Pre-heat oven to 425o F.
- Drain and press tofu; slice into bite-sized pieces & add to large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk cornstarch, salt, pepper & garlic powder together.
- Toss tofu with cornstarch mixture with your hands, making sure each piece is lightly coated.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add the tofu, turning and tossing until a crisp, light brown outer layer has formed. Place in a large clean bowl.
- Toss browned tofu with 3 tablespoons of hot sauce. Spread coated tofu on baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Cook for 20 minutes, flipping half-way through.
- Remove from oven and place back in the sauce bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of hot sauce and toss to coat.
(There’s an air fryer version of this recipe too – preparation is slightly different, so be sure to check it out on the original post!)